If we consider for example absorbent hygiene products, the manufacturers of these products represented by EDANA make an important economic and social contribution to Europe. The sector:
- Employs over 100,000 people, about 20,000 of which are directly employed in the development, production and distribution of absorbent hygiene products;
- Generates a similar level of employment upstream within raw materials supplier industries, not to mention those employed downstream in logistics and commercial operations;
- Supports a network of suppliers and business partners researching and developing specialist equipment and materials, which in turn contribute to Europe's research capabilities and practical know-how;
- Invests in over 50 manufacturing and development facilities in some 20 countries in the region;
- Invests in new technology and infrastructure in the newly emerging economies of central and eastern Europe;
- Generates revenues of over ten billion euros annually.